Protect Cleveland's Immigrant Population
Everyone, regardless of where they were born or the path they took to get here, should have the right to live comfortably and safely in the City of Cleveland. While the specifics of Federal immigration policy are out of the control of the City Council, mandated non-cooperation with immigration officials and the official declaration of Cleveland as a sanctuary city are vital steps that we must take to ensure that our communities and their members are protected.
My plan prohibits the use of City funds to enforce Federal immigration laws and includes specific provisions which prevent local police from cooperating with immigration officials, such as mandating the non-enforcement of ICE warrants. While Cleveland already limits its cooperation with immigration authorities, we must put these policies into law so the livelihoods of our immigrant neighbors do not rely on verbal agreements.
The Plan to Protect Cleveland's Immigrants
- Officially declare Cleveland to be a sanctuary city.
- Prohibit the use of city funds to enforce Federal immigration policy.
- Prohibit city authorities from enforcing warrants issued by ICE/CBP.
- Prohibit city authorities from complying with ICE/CBP-issued detainers.
- Implement a "Don't Ask" policy for those in the custody of city authorities.